Thursday, October 2, 2008

RIF

(cue the scary music!!!)

Yes, its true. DISD has (within the last few hours) approved a large RIF (reduction in force) of teachers and other school-based, contract staff.

So what does this mean? I am not really sure, still. I mean, since this budget shortfall story broke, teachers have been having fits. First it was 64 million short, and it looked like campuses would have to cut budgets by 10%. Then, the shortfall (whoops) was actually 84 million dollars....and the sup. decided one sure way to save was to cut teachers back to "staffing formulas" (in elementary 1:24 and middle/high school 1:125) levels. But the board postponed...twice...and so life contiuned for two weeks, teachers taught, students learned, and of course, people gave credence to EVERY rumor that passed via blog, email, or word-of-mouth! And the teachers (all teachers) were stressed.

So today, it looks likt 650 teachers/counselors, etc. will lose their jobs. And they won't begin to find out who it is until NEXT FRIDAY at the earliest, and THE FRIDAY AFTER at the latest. So we are back in turmoil. I am on the block. I don't know to what degree, because the "plan" that will be followed is vague, and no one has really come forward with it. So I don't know how worried to be. But, then neither does anyone else. And it really dosen't matter.

I am not callous when I say this. I know that every campus in the district WILL be impacted by this decision. I know that some (maybe even me) will lose their jobs, due to another persons incompetence. I know that for those left standing when the dust begins to settle, they have a long road ahead of them. We will have to shift children, re-make classrooms, teach additional subjects, and say goodbye. The children have now had six weeks with us, and they will need to begin their school year again....getting used to new, different teachers....or just getting over saying goodbye.

So really, in the end, I might lose my job, and that is sad. But my students (even if I get to stay) are the real losers in this situation, because it will affect them the most!

No comments: